Pablo Picasso is quoted saying that “Every child is an artist…” My mom often reminds me of the first time she knew I was an artist (spoiler: it involves "paint" I found in my diaper and decided to decorate the walls with). I’m sure many of us have similar introductions to art at a young age, or maybe not, but Picasso knew that this instinctual form of expression would be tough to hold on to in our culture. His quote is finished by reminding us that “Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we’ve grown up.”
As a licensed art educator, it’s always been my goal to encourage art at every age. Art is important, it is necessary, it is expressive, it is communicative, it is healing, and it is an integral part of who we are as people. After graduating from Purdue University and teaching in the public schools for 5 years, I am beyond thrilled to have a space to encourage on every aspect of art, for every age and ability.
While there are many dreams for this little studio, I am most excited to be able to give back to our community and offer programs to benefit everyone. Of course, none of this would be possible without the love and support of my God, my friends, my family, my husband and our two little artists.
Flourish Studio and Classroom has been, in every sense, a part of a bigger plan.
It all began with an idea that was on fire and would not be put out. After understanding that it was not going away, I decided to gauge interest (or see if anyone else thought that idea was as crazy as I did). I shared a survey with friends and local parent groups. The feedback was fast and loud. Fortunately, Ashley Jones, co-owner at Bloom Kids Co., had taken the survey and was interested in a potential partnership. From then, every detail throughout the evolution from idea to reality has been intricately designed by someone who knows much more about what they’re doing than I do.
I could write pages about the insane ways things have fallen together and been confirmed throughout this process, but I think I will just share one of my favorites. While trying to decide what to call this little studio, I knew that it had to be a name that symbolized growth. I tossed around ideas like ‘sprout’ or ‘spark’ and created 5 different name logos to try to help me decide. After a couple of weeks of going back and forth, I had just finished making a 6th logo, Flourish, when a close-friend sent me a sermon by Charles Stanley. In it, he referenced Psalm 92:12 ( 12 The righteous will flourish like a palm tree, they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon;13 planted in the house of the Lord, they will flourish in the courts of our God ). I was blown away by the timing, but the confirmations didn’t stop there. That evening, Ashley sent me an image she had seen and thought it would be a great studio name. Of course, it was Flourish as well. To top it all off, my husband had suggested the name, Flourish, for weeks. Being a stubborn wife, I dismissed his ideas. Long story short, I learned the name of the studio and that I should be more considerate of my husband, even if his delivery is a little rough. 😉
Flourish Studio & Classroom is a place for artists at all stages of development to learn and create art in a process-focused environment. Our mission is to enable our artists to grow in personal and artistic aspects by creating, rather than aspire to have a finished product all the same.
- Our studio values meaning in the process and purpose.
- We prioritize the needs of our community and those who are less fortunate.
- We strive to always be honest, understanding, empathetic and encouraging, and to create opportunity for all who enter to find their path to their best solution.
- Our goal is for this art studio to become a staple in the community and a platform to provide opportunity for programs that help people in need.
The following policies apply to classes, workshops, summer programs, private events, and open studio sessions at Flourish Studio and Classroom. Please feel free to contact us (765-323-2100 or email@example.com) to discuss any of these policies prior to registering.
- Advanced registration is required for all classes. Admission will only be allowed up to ten minutes into the class.
- You can book a class and complete the registration either online or in the store. A completed registration waiver is required for all participants.
- The class/program costs includes all materials.
- The class/program fee is due upon registration and is required in order to guarantee your spot.
- The complete fee must be fully paid prior to attendance.
Cancellation and Refunds
- You may cancel your registration for a class up to 24 hours before it begins for a full refund. After that, you will be encouraged to reschedule.
- No refund will be given for withdrawal from an ongoing class, but it can be rescheduled.
- Each family is allowed 1 make-up classes. Make-up classes must be rescheduled directly through email or in the studio.
- If Flourish Studio and Classroom needs to cancel a class due to inclement weather or illness, we will make every attempt to contact you with as much advanced notice as possible. In the event of a cancelled class, a make-up class will be rescheduled for all registered participants.
- We love having parents stay and participate! Parents are welcome to participate in any class for any aged child. We strongly encourage parents to stay in the building, whether in the studio or in the store, for any class their children are participating in.
- The Create With Me and Sensory + Messy Labs are "parent+child" only; parents are required stay and get creative with their little ones!
- Open Studio does not require parent participation, however because the class is very exploratory, we ask for your help keeping an eye on your little ones to help us to conserve resources and prevent unnecessary waste.
- In order for a parent to be able to drop-off their child, they are REQUIRED to complete a registration waiver before hand.
Snacks, Allergies, and Wellness
- You may bring snacks for your child. Please do not bring any peanut-based snacks or hot drinks into the studio.
- If your child does have any allergies or health concerns, please indicate those details on the registration waiver and let us know. We strive to accommodate for our participants as much as possible and look forward to making our classes an enjoyable experience for everyone!
- We strongly discourage bringing a sick child to the studio. Instead, we will gladly reschedule a missed class.
Parties and Events
- Payment (or deposit) is due in full to reserve an event and are non-refundable.
- Each event is customized and planned in advance. Host's will receive itineraries at least one week in advance and are welcome to suggest changes.
- Color-matching decorations (balloons, table cloths, and banners) as well as all materials and supplies for the planned events are included. Hosts are welcome to bring any snacks, drinks, tableware, etc. they would like. Ask us about our cake partner who will deliver delicious treats on your party day!
- Maximum of 18 participants per event (grown-ups of participants not included).
- Adults are required to stay and host, as well as bring any refreshments.
- The store remains open to the public while the event is happening in the studio space, although there is a door that can be closed for more privacy.